Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week 8 - Technology Integration Matrix

This week we had to look at the Technology Integration Matrix made by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology.  Looking at this matrix I was then instructed to choose one of the examples of from the TIM and see how that example facilitates the NETS for Teachers.  I chose to discuss Constructive Learning at the Infusion Level in a Shared Atmosphere for my cell of the TIM since I feel that this is where many of my current students' abilities lie as well as the type of computer atmosphere I can offer in my classroom (i.e. shared).

Among the many NETS there are many standards that I feel are specifically addressed in this example.

1. Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
a. Teachers promote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness. This is shown through the designing process of the rocket.
c. Teachers promote student reflection using collaborative tools to reveal and clarify students' conceptual understanding and thinking, planning and creative processes.  This is demonstrated in the budgeting aspect of the experiment as well as the planning of the rocket specifications before the actual experiment.

2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
a. Teachers design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity.  Through the use of the NASA rocket modeling program the students will be able to evaluate their rocket's flight before they even build it.  This application is used in real life with all engineering endeavors and can be related to the students beforehand.
d.  Teachers provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching.  The use of both the computer as well as the real life "launch day" allows the student to truly appreciate the lesson and the competition aspect (who can create the most cost efficient rocket) of the lesson will further engross the student to the material presented.

The other aspect of this weeks assignment was to assess where I feel my comfort level is based on the skills that I have learned this semester while taking CURR-518.  I can honestly say that while I felt very confident in my skills before this semester began I feel a little intimidated.  I do feel that while my technology skills have improved immensely this semester, I have also realized that I have much to learn when it comes to all of the possibilities of integrating technology into my classroom.  So I am very confident that I am at an infusion level capability, I do believe that I am ways away from being able to have the knowledge and preparation needed to have a transformation level in my classroom.  SCHAMA SIGNING OFF.

1 comment:

  1. nice assessment of your skills and comfort. As the teacher, you need to be aware of these if you are going to integrate and model technology in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete